Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Honesty

Fuck it. I've been thinking tonight. It's V-day, and mine has been full of problems all that have arose because of miscommunication or not enough communication. So I sit here now, thinking about this blog (weird eh?)

I've been on the outside looking in on the poker bloggers for over two years now. I just recently started mine. What to post or not post has always been a bit of a debate in my mind. The debate has ended, one side has won. The side that won is my "Fuck It" side. Every week, sometimes everyday, people tell me "That's your solution for everything isn't it. Just fuck it." Truth be told it is. If you don't like me then so be it. I don't want to be part of any group that will have me as a member (put the correct credit here.) The "Fuck It" attitude has worked out for a long time for me, so I'll try the same here.

Pauly, you crack me up (my favorite blog), Daddy at Snailtrax could be, but he is too lazy to post enough to keep me entertained, however in real life I love him. Grubby is like your little brother, that you love to hear the stories, but you want to tell him to grow up, but I can't get enough. He also would be my only entertainment if he posted more. Felicia is so in your face with honesty that I can't get enough. And yes I do admit it, Stripper by Night has been my inspiration for over six months now.

In the beginning she was entertaining, then she was highly profitable. If she is for real or not I don't care, she gave me something to work for. I admit it, I thought, "Shit, if some dumbass stripper can make money why can't I?" I didn't read for advise, I read for inspiration, I read for entertainment, and I read because everybody loves a good soap opera. I've read the blogs, well a lot of them, yeah there is some good information, SbN has none of it. What she had, in my opinion, was a way of placing the stick so high that there is no way to reach it, a Bad News Bears of sorts. I've said it before, I don't want to be good, I want to be the best, if I see Phil Hellmuth say on TV there is no way he could have made a laydown, or a call, I want to snicker at the shear stupidity of his statement. I want to read how others talk about the plays I made against them. Only by setting the bar so high do we fall into an area of novicness, that like school, without being a novice at first, there is no way to master.

I'm honest. Pretty simple. I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like. Most people call me an asshole, I don't see it that way. I've been reading at Iggy's site and others about burnout and the masses posting about poker. That's what lead to this post, along with others to follow it. 'Fuck it' is the answer, if you don't like what I say, then read it and flame me, if you do, read it and don't post a comment. Either way I think more people will read. I'm an arrogant asshole that is too smart for their own good. I could make a living programming like hdouble, I could do a million things, but instead I choose poker, a passion that is the least +EV for my life. Why? It's the battle, that's why people love it. You don't battle over who gets the better phone at work, you don't battle over who gets the cubicle with a better view of the window, you don't battle over who gets to give the boss a blow job after hours, you battle over cash. What is more beautiful? What is more capitalistic? Every battle is over money, it's just that most put any number of proxies in the middle. Poker doesn't.

Iggy said in a post a few days ago that someone quoted him saying he would link any poker blog. I give you a different promise: I link blogs that don't suck. If you aren't listed, then I either haven't read you or I find you annoying. Perhaps that is why I'm not linked up very often, and if so that is fine, I've never asked anyone to link me.

Well enough of the high horse, or annoying rant, and on to more important discussion.

-----

"Limit Sucks"

'Why do you play limit?' 'Your playing limit?' etc. etc. All comments from people I have heard. Simple truth of the matter is that limit poker is math. It's fast math with draws when you know you are behind, but it's also knowing when you are ahead. It's raising with a hand like 94o when you have a pair and know the other guy is betting into you with AK AQ KQ or some other such hand that they have fallen in love with. It's calculating the odds on the fly to know when to call with a flush draw, to know when you have the right odds at the pot and grinding it up to +BB/H. Shit, these days playing super solid is highly profitable at limit poker because of the fish. The challenge is to see how many BB/h you can average. It's not as easy as you may think. Why do so many bloggers hate limit? It's simple, they aren't good at it. Limit is more difficult in my mind then no limit. Seven card stud is more difficult then limit HE. There is more going on in the game. More to keep track of, moves are harder to make. Bluffs are harder to run. While playing today I was up +19BB in 45 minutes without one premium hand. The best hands I had were AT and 77 twice. I never would have played a hand in no limit. I got some hands run up my ass, that happens, it's limit. The biggest pot I won was with 45s and never made the hand until the river, but because of other people poor preflop play and poor flop play I always had odds to draw, that's limit. I play both, but I can average a much better hourly rate in limit then in no limit, but to each their own. Shit the entire reason that Gus Hansen isn't dead money is that he knows odds so inside and out he can massage a pot into not allowing better hands to draw that he is +EV at no limit. John Juanda makes more than any other pro (I think) because he can play high stakes limit better than anyone else. The people on TV are the Anna Nicoles and Backstreet Boys, but they aren't the ones making the real money. Go read Iggy's site to see what he plays. If Juanda had enough time to have a web site you could go read about what he plays too, but the truth of the matter is, that the constant, good money is in limit.


-----


In other matters I need to get my other Trump post up, I broke a few rules of Pauly's, but I like breaking rules. However, I'm introducing my own Stern rule to the line-up.




5 Comments:

Blogger April said...

I've always thought "Fuck it" was a good response to just about anything as well. Usually it leads to some interesting times. Here it leads to a great post.

I've stayed away from limit simply because there isn't that control you get like in NL - raises pre-flop are pretty much ignored, at least at the micro-limits. Very frustrating. (And as I was told last night, I have control issues). Now you tell me it's all about math? I'm totally screwed.

11:24 AM  
Blogger TenMile said...

What ever tripped you trigger, do it again.

Great read. Thanks.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Daddy said...

Daddy no like the limit.

You're probably onto something though, regarding pot massaging. Deep down inside I feel that I'm drawn to No Limit versus Limit because I can alter the pot size to make it so my opponent can't get his odds for a draw.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that I play such small limits, pot odds aren't a "given" to the masses, and therefore often times ignored.

The ignorance can be extremely profitable, but at the same time can also lead to much larger "bad beat" scenarios. HUGE variance.

Maybe I'm just a glutton for pain.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im inspired to go play limit now.
When i think about NL, im gonna just say "fugg it"

4:03 PM  
Blogger hdouble said...

Preach on. Thanks for the link. As to limit vs. nl, I believe limit is where it's at online due to the ability to multitable. However, in Live games, NL is the place to be. Check out DoubleAs's blog for a view from the NL perspective.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home